New Charlotte is partnering with Church at Charlotte and St. Stephen UMC to conduct a summer reading book fair at Greenway Park and Idlewild Elementary Schools.
Here’s How You Can Help
- Donate during the offering or online and we will purchase books for you.
- Join us at Greenway Park (May 22) or Idlewild (May 23) and help students choose the 5 books they can take home with them.
The Power of Literacy
- 96% of 3rd graders reading on grade level will graduate on time
- On average, students lose 2 months of reading skills over the summer
- The third grade literacy proficiency rate is currently at 39% across CMS
Through participating in our Summer Scholars project, we are investing in 3 of 5 evidence-based practices that move the needle in improving children’s literacy:
- Active Reading
- Summer Reading
- Including Families in the Process
By reading 5 books during the summer, students can add 1.5 months of additional growth
Our Partners:Partner With Us
Student Serve Weekend
January 18, 2019
We've got a fun serve weekend planned for middle school and high school students on Friday, January 18 and Saturday, January 19! We'll partner with Urban Ministry Center of Charlotte to learn about homelessness in our city.
You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2 Timothy 2:1