New Charlotte is partnering with Church at Charlotte and St. Stephen UMC to conduct a summer reading book fair at Greenway Park and Idlewild Elementary Schools. We are accepting donations of new and used children’s books ranging in level from toddler to fifth grade (ages 0 – 11 years old).
Here’s How You Can Help
- If you received a bag during worship on a recent Sunday, return with new or used books on or before May 13. The biggest need is PK-3rd grade books, although all ages are accepted.
- Order books to be shipped to New Charlotte via our Amazon wishlist at newcharlotte.org/booklist
- Donate during the offering or online and we will purchase books for you.
- Volunteer at our Serve night to process books to according to reading level.
- Join us at Greenway Park (May 22) or Idlewild (May 23) and help students choose the 5 books they can take home with them.
The Power of Literacy
- 96% of 3rd graders reading on grade level will graduate on time
- On average, students lose 2 months of reading skills over the summer
- The third grade literacy proficiency rate is currently at 39% across CMS
Through participating in our Summer Scholars project, we are investing in 3 of 5 evidence-based practices that move the needle in improving children’s literacy:
- Active Reading
- Summer Reading
- Including Families in the Process
By reading 5 books during the summer, students can add 1.5 months of additional growth
Our Partners:Partner With Us