What I Learned in Childbirth Class
It’s been almost 9 years, but I can still remember the night Jen and I spent together in our first childbirth class at the hospital. We were so excited for our first child to arrive. I was only somewhat excited for the prerequisite class.
I can remember noticing a dynamic that formed in our childbirth class that evening at Carolinas Medical Center; most of the guys stopped paying attention about half-way through! As we got further into the details about childbirth; the guys got further into sports scores and daydreaming.
I don’t think the attention problem was a caring or compassion one, all the guys were present and willing. I think this issue was all application. Every guy in there was thinking: This doesn’t really apply to me.
Application is the foundation of Transformation.
If it’s all about Information, If it’s all about Inspiration, but there’s no Application…nothing will truly change.
Take a look at Matthew 7:24-27. This is how Jesus chooses to end his “Sermon on the Mount.” In my sermon this week, these truths were evident:
- If there is no Application given there will eventually be no Attention given.
- We must apply the truth if it’s going to change us.
- Don’t just talk and tweet the truth, do something with it!
- The best lies we tell are the one’s we tell ourselves. (James 1:22)
- The Gospel is the only “Rock” that is solid enough to secure you.
- Crisis will always reveal the true foundation of your life.
- We love new Information and Inspiration; both are valuable. Application is the real teacher.
- On the “rock” of this simple truth (You are the Christ, the son of the living God) Jesus will build his Church.
- Applied truth is a weapon that Hell itself cannot stand against.
- Application is the Foundation of Information.
To listen to the full sermon, and the rest of the “How to Grow your Faith” series, go here.